Friday, April 18, 2008

Rice shortage?

Abundant all over the news, be it in print, tv or radio is about the rice shortage in the Philippines. It is really a scare that the staple food of majority of the Filipinos is becoming scarce. However, the province of Bohol is blessed with abundant rice production, although not abundant enough to be able to share much of its rice produce to people in other provinces in the country.

Only this week, no less than the governor of the province, Gov. Erico B. Aumentado was caught the eyes and ears of the media when he approved an ordinance regulating the volume of rice shipped outside his province. As the father of Bohol is just doing his job of ensuring that the people of Bohol will not run out of rice supply.



In the closer environment, my family is blessed with abundant rice supply from our own rice farm. Last week, my parents were so happy to announce that despite of the rice shortage problem, their rice farm (in Ubay, Bohol) was able to produce rice more than our family can consume. The last count my father told me was 220 cavans of newly harvested rice palay. Last weekend, when me and my sister drove to our other house in Ubay (my mother's hometown), I was awed to find a stack of sacks full of rice palay at the terrace.

And early this week, my brother who recently visited our other rice farms in Pilar, Bohol, informed me that my tenant will soon report to me of the rice harvest count from my rice farm. Yes, I have a rice farm! My parents gave me a 3 hectare rice farm (my other 10 siblings were also given 3 hectares each), which unfortunately I don't know how to take care of thereby, me and my husband contracted a tenant to plant rice on my farm.

Praise God for the no rice shortage in Bohol!

No comments: